TREEHOUSE SCREW – GTS FRIEND
Our Friend and Helper
The GTS Friend is the ideal Tree Screw for small loads and supporting fixings. Since it only minimally injures the tree, it can already be used from a trunk diameter of ø > 25 cm (10 in). The load capacity is approx. 400 kg for softwood and approx. 800 kg for hardwood!
incl. VAT plus shipping
|✓ Made in Germany||✓ 50 Years Warranty||✓ 30 Days Return|
For small and big adventures
The GTS Friend is suitable for small children's treehouses, viewing platforms or simple tree platforms < 10 m² (107 sq ft). Since a medium-powered cordless screwdriver (18 V; 4 Ah) is sufficient for assembly, it is also the perfect companion for small secret projects in the forest! For larger projects, the GTS Friend is only used as a helping screw, e.g. to secure the position of small triangular constructions or to build small platforms, stairs and supporting constructions with our Struts.
Small, but mighty!
The vertical load capacity is approx. 400 kg (880 lbs) for softwood (spruce, fir, pine, …) and approx. 800 kg (1760 lbs) for hardwood (beech, oak, maple, …). In tension, approx. 2/3 and laterally only approx. 1/3 of this value may be loaded.
For every tree
As the Screw has no cylinder, the interference with the living tree is minimal – the tree simply continues to grow and the Screw is firmly integrated.
Easy as Pie
The GTS Friend is pre-drilled with the same Auger-Bit ø 36 mm as all other GTS Screws. It does not matter how bent or crooked the tree trunk is. Pre-drill – screw in – done!
Click here for the installation video of the GTS Friend.
What is delivered?
1 × GTS Friend (incl. greased nut)
- Tree Thread ø40: Specially developed coarse thread for the tree guarantees high pull-out resistance (500 – 1000 kg = 1100 – 2200 lbs) & optimal power flow.
- Seal +: Thickening from thread undercut to shank seals the drill hole.
- Shaft 40: With a diameter of ø 40 mm, the shaft withstands even the highest alternating loads – peaceful sleep is guaranteed.
- Black KTL Coating: The environmentally friendly coating process ensures optimum corrosion protection and excellent sliding properties. Thanks to the black appearance, the GTS disappears inconspicuously in the tree.
- Certified DIN quality steel
- Special steel alloy (shaft not weldable)
- ltotal = 310 mm (12,2 in)
- lthread = 130 mm (5,1 in)
- lshaft = 150 mm (5,9 in)
- øshaft = 40 mm (1,57 in)
- Gewicht: 2900 g (inkl. Mutter)
- Artikel-Nr.: TTS1003
- HS-Code (Zolltarif): 73181542
- Pre-Drill (Auger-Bit ø 36 mm)
- Screw in (Ratchet 1“ for Nut M30, SW46)
6 Treehouse Screws
Find the right Screw
The GTS Friend is not intended as a main load-bearing Screw for large loads – especially in softwood, the load-bearing capacity is limited! Our GTS Allstar is better suited for large treehouses with a trunk diameter of more than ø > 35 cm. You can find everything else in our product guide!
Frequently Asked Questions
How to mount the GTS Screw in the tree?
- Pre-drill the hole in the tree (Auger or Forstner bit).
- Screw in the screw (large ratchet).
- Push on the Support with the wooden beam.
The tools are all available in our online shop. You can find detailed assembly videos on our YouTube channel.
Is my tree softwood or hardwood?
The decisive factor for anchoring the treehouse with Treehouse Screws is the compressive strength along the wood grain.
Hardwood (> 2.5 KN/cm²) – very suitable for Treehouse Bolts:
- Hardwoods: maple, beech, oak, ash, walnut, sycamore, robinia.
Medium hardwood (2 – 2.5 KN/cm²) – well suited for Treehouse Bolts:
- Hardwoods: birch, sweet chestnut, alder, cherry tree, lime tree
- Softwoods: Douglas fir, pine, larch, spruce, fir
Softwood (< 2 KN/cm²) – moderately suitable for high loads on Treehouse Bolts:
- Hardwoods: aspen, poplar, pear, horse chestnut, elm, willow
- Coniferous woods: cedar
IMPORTANT: These are only rough guide values – wood strength varies from tree to tree, from place to place and even within a tree! Wound healing and compartmentalisation also play an important role. You can find out how to analyse your treehouse-tree on this page: Which tree is suitable?
Can I also use screws from the DIY-Store to build a treehouse?
To fasten a treehouse to the tree – No!
- The screws available in DIY stores are not designed for the extreme loads of a treehouse.
- Treehouse Screws are made of a special steel alloy, have a large diameter (ø = 40 mm) and an optimised geometry.
- The frequent alternating loads caused by wind fluctuations, which can lead to spontaneous fatigue fractures in normal wood screws in the long run, are particularly problematic.
- The treehouse construction must have distance to the tree so that it can grow further in width, the distance and the associated leverage forces can only be handled by professional Treehouse Screws!
What is the difference between German Treehouse Screw, Garnier Limb & TAB?
Treehouse Screws or Treehouse Bolts are available from different manufacturers with different names:
- Garnier Limb GL (Michael Garnier, USA)
- Treehouse Attachment Bolt TAB (Pete Nelson, USA)
- German Treehouse Screw GTS (TheTreehouse.Shop, Germany)
All Treehouse Screws/Bolts function according to the same principle, differences exist in the manufacturing quality, the service (know-how, advice) and the associated price. The components of the different manufacturers cannot be combined with each other! The original treehouse bolts were developed over 20 years ago in the USA by treehouse pioneers Michael Garnier, Charles Greenwood and later Pete Nelson (TV series). TheTreehouse.Shop is the only manufacturer in Europe that works with metric measurements [mm]!
Our German Treehouse Screw (GTS) is the latest generation of treehouse screws. Our GTS are manufactured with the highest quality standards in Germany (near Munich) and shipped worldwide. Based on American models, our engineers have further perfected the Screw – our goal is to make treehouse construction even safer and assembly as easy as possible!
Will my treehouse grow upwards with the tree?
Don’t worry, you don’t have to extend your ladder every year. Trees only sprout at the branch tips. The rest of the tree then only grows in width (thickness growth, annual rings). You can easily observe this by looking at the carvings on the trunk, they remain at the same height for the rest of the tree’s life – just like your treehouse.