SWING ASSEMBLY KIT – 1 TREE
Attach the swing beam to the tree
With the Swing Asselmby Kit, a swing beam can be attached to the tree in a way that is gentle on the tree. The set “grows with the tree” so that future generations can still swing safely and happily.
incl. VAT plus shipping
|✓ Made in Germany||✓ 5 Years Warranty||✓ 30 Days Return|
How to attach a swing beam to the tree correctly
Swinging puts a lot of stress on a beam – so you don't want to just screw and nail it directly into the tree somehow, and wait for it to rot through and break after 5 years. If you want to swing safely and not damage the tree in the long run, it is worth investing in a proper attachment!
Firmly anchored to the tree
Your tree should have a minimum trunk diameter of ø > 30 cm (12 in)!
The swing beam is firmly connected to the Static Support and pressed directly against the tree with the help of the Distance Rings. This is important to keep the lever arm and the load on the GTS Friend low. The Static Support is firmly connected to the wooden beam with 2 carriage bolts and 4 stainless steel wood screws.
The tree can grow
If the tree grows in width, the Distance Rings can be gradually removed – this allows the tree to grow undisturbed and the beam remains intact. Normally, the Bolt grows in 3 to 10 mm per year (0,1 – 0,4 in). The angle that changes between the wooden beam and the A-frame in this case is not important.
2 Swing Sets
Swing between 2 trees
Of course, you can also attach a beam between two trees. In this case, you also attach the beam directly to the tree and gradually remove your Distance Rings at the right time. If you have a particularly long beam with a lot of swings and particularly large children, you can of course use the GTS Allstar instead of the GTS Friend, or install 2 Strut Support Safety as shown here for reinforcement.
What is delivered?
- 1 x GTS Friend (Tree Screw)
- 1 x Static Support (to fasten your wooden beam)
- 2 x Distance Rings (to fix the position)
- The wood is not included in the kit.
- Technical details can be found on the respective product pages.
- Total weight: 5840 g
- Article number: TTS-SWING-1
- HS codes (customs): 73181542, 73089059
Calculate swing beam
Rule of thumb for calculating wooden swing beams – beam height:
The “distance of the support points” is important here, i.e. the distance between the points to which the swing beam is attached (e.g. tree, swing connector, support triangle, playhouse, house wall):
In our example, with 300 cm between the support points, the beam should be 12 cm high:
This is a guide value for normal use with two children’s swings, primarily used by children!
- For youths or adults, the beam may be + 2 cm (+ 0,8 in) higher.
- The calculated value should not deviate by more than – 2 cm. If the beam becomes even thinner, it will bend too much.
Wooden swing beam – optimum width:
- The beam should be at least 8 cm wide (3,1 in), as high horizontal loads occur during swinging in addition to the high vertical loads. This way, the beam connectors and swing connections can be fastened well.
- We recommend a maximum width of 12 cm (4,7 in).
The right wood for the swing beam
- The wood should be suitable for outdoor use: larch and Douglas fir are optimal; oak is very heavy, expensive and difficult to work with; if you want it to be natural, use robinia roundwood.
- Make sure that the wooden beam between the support points (in the area of the swings) has no large knotholes or cracks! These weaken the beam and can lead to predetermined breaking points.
- When buying, look for narrow annual rings, which means that the beam is particularly stable.
- As a minimum, we recommend squared timber beams 9 × 9 cm, or round timber ø 9 cm (3,5 in).
Nicht ganz das, was du suchst?
Natürlich ist auch dieses Set frei kombinierbar und kann mit anderen Produkten erweitert werden – hier findest du weitere Ideen und Beispiele für den Bau von Baumhaus-Plattformen.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I mount the GTS Screw in the tree?
- Pre-drill the hole in the tree (Auger or Forstner bit).
- Screw in the screw (large ratchet).
- Push on the Support with the wooden beam.
The tools are all available in our online shop. You can find detailed assembly videos on our YouTube channel.
Will my swing grow upwards with the tree?
Don’t worry, you don’t have to extend your swing every year. Trees only sprout at the branch tips. The rest of the tree only grows in width (thickness growth, annual rings). You can easily see this in the notches on the trunk, they stay at the same height for the rest of the tree’s life – just like your treehouse.
Can I also use normal wood screws from the DIY store for fastening?
Of course, you can also attach the swing beam directly to the tree with several long wood screws. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Since the connection between tree and swing beam is exposed to the weather and many living trees attack the screws with their tannic acid, you should use either very thick galvanised screws or stainless steel screws.
- Stainless steel screws are only available thin and short in DIY stores (ø 6 mm x 140 mm) and are therefore completely unsuitable because the steel is too brittle and can suddenly crack.
- Galvanised screws are also available with ø 8 to 12 mm and in all lengths. Here, however, it should be noted that they rust through very quickly, all at the same time!
- In addition, the tree presses strongly against the beam as it grows, which puts additional stress on the screws.
- The tree should not be unnecessarily restricted in its thickness growth.
Can I also use round wood as a swing beam?
Of course it is possible. The beam must have a diameter of at least 9 cm, be knot-free and stable. The surface to which the beam is attached to the Static Support must be machined so that the beam lies smoothly and can be screwed with a force fit.