Right of return?
Complaint - damaged goods
The package doesn't arrive?
That can have the following reasons:
- We haven’t received any money from you -> your package is not on its way yet:
Check your e-mail inbox and spam folder! Please make sure that everything worked with the payment method, sometimes the function of PayPal and Amazon is limited – in this case simply transfer the money to our company account: you will find the bank details on your invoice, which we sent you via email -> inform us as soon as you have transferred the money!
- Problems with parcel delivery – your parcel is already on its way:
First of all you should check your parcel number, you received it in your shipping confirmation.
Your package may not be delivered because nobody is at home. We as the seller cannot give the parcel service any instructions to leave the parcels at the door. Please contact the parcel service directly and have your parcel number ready.
Shipping to United Kingdom (UK - England - Brexit)?
With the Brexit, the United Kingdom (UK) has left the European Union and will be
European Union and, from the EU’s point of view, will have the status of a third
third country. This means that the movement of goods and therefore the shipment of parcels between the EU and the UK
will be subject to customs supervision from this date and customs formalities will therefore have to be
have to be fulfilled.
What customs duties are levied when shipping in the UK?
The negotiated agreement stipulates that goods originating in the EU or in the
UK will not be subject to customs duties (origin-related customs duty exemption).
This means that the “hardware” of TheTreehouse.Shop will remain duty free (steel products & ropes).
Customs duty can therefore only be levied on our “soft goods” (T-shirts, etc.) as these are also produced and shipped worldwide.
What does the customer have to do?
- From commercial customers we always need an EORI number.
- For private customers applies:
Invoice amount < 150 €: we need your identity card number
Invoice amount > 150€: Lucky – you can order without further ado!!!
Is shipping to Ireland affected by the Brexit?
With the Brexit, Great Britain has left the European Union. The province of
Northern Ireland (the northern part of the island of Ireland) remains a member of the Customs Union. The Republic of Ireland
(the southern part of the island of Ireland) is not affected by the Brexit and remains a member of the
EU. For commercial shippers, this means that shipments to both parts of Ireland can continue to be made without any customs formalities.
Shipping to Switzerland?
We regularly ship to Switzerland and are optimally prepared!
How do ordering, shipping and customs import to Switzerland (not EU) work?
The order is placed quite regularly in our online store, the payment methods work as usual.
The packages leave our warehouse after 5 – 10 working days. Usually we ship with GLS.
For Switzerland there is customs duty:
The customer bears the customs and handling costs upon import. So far we have not received any negative feedback from our Swiss neighbors – but you should be aware that these costs may be incurred and there may be corresponding delays in delivery.
To make the customs process as smooth as possible, we attach a “customs declaration C23” and the “commercial invoice” to the outside of the package. For parcels with a value of goods > 1000 € we additionally attach an export accompanying document (ABD). This usually ensures that the parcels do not have to be opened, thus avoiding extra costs.
Return from Switzerland:
Of course, the Swiss also have a 30-day right of return. The customer bears all costs for the return.
Worldwide shipping - America, South America, Asia, Africa & countries outside Europe?
Our focus is on the European market (physical Europe).
For larger orders (>1500€) there is also the possibility of worldwide shipping.
However, there are high costs involved here:
– Handling costs before and after shipping (customs papers, phone calls, e-mails)
– Shipping costs (air freight or via sea often very expensive >200€ / package)
If you are interested, please contact us directly via e-mail: email@example.com
3. Questions about the tree
Does my tree house grow up with the tree?
How high must a tree be for a tree house?
The height of the tree is not decisive for your tree house – much more important is the diameter of the trunk, which should be at least 30 cm (better 40 cm), depending on the size of your tree house!
Also make sure that the proportions of the tree house and crown volume are right, the tree house should not visually “smother” your little tree.
With small-growing trees with a low crown, such as fruit trees, it is often better to build the house on stilts.
Load-bearing capacity - hardwood vs. softwood?
The decisive factor for treehouse screws is the compressive strength along the wood grain:
Hardwood (> 2.5 KN/cm²) – very suitable for screws:
- Leaves: maple, beech, oak, ash, walnut, sycamore, robinia.
Medium hardwood (2 – 2.5 KN/cm²) – well suited for screws:
- Leaves: birch, chestnut, alder, cherry, lime
- Needles: Douglas fir, pine, larch, spruce, fir
Softwood (< 2 KN/cm²) – moderately suitable for high load on screws:
- Leaves: aspen, poplar, pear, horse chestnut, elm, willow
- Needles: cedar
These are only rough guide values – wood strength varies from tree to tree, from place to place and even in the same tree! Read more here…
For the final suitability for treehouse construction, apart from the compressive strength, the sealing capacity and wound healing also play an important role.
Which tree is best suited for building tree houses with screws?
Beech, oak, lime, larch, maple and tree species with similar wood characteristics are the top tree house trees!
You can read more about them in our detailed article:
How much does a tree sway?
The tree looks unhealthy or old - what should I do?
Hollow trunks and trees with fungal infestation should be avoided in any case!
Here you can learn more about choosing the right tree.
My tree is too small - How fast does a tree grow? How long must I wait?
- Wait: If patience is your strength and grandchildren are in sight, you can postpone the treehouse project for a few years; the trunk diameter grows +5 to 15 mm per year on average.
- Build a stilt house or a mixed form, for example with a tree screw and three uprights. Many of the most beautiful “tree houses” are supported by artificial stilts, which is also common practice in professional tree house construction. Don’t worry: The real tree-house feeling will still come about as soon as the house hovers a few meters above the ground and kisses the treetop.
What is a twig?
U-twigs are generally more stable and resilient, as their wood fibres are better interlocked. With V-twiggles, on the other hand, the bark grows into the fork and the fibres are only moderately interlocked or not interlocked at all – V-twiggles are far less resilient and tend to tear out, so they should not be used as a fastening point for heavy loads.
Can I remove branches? How do I cut or saw them off?
Important: Never break off branches, this will cause extensive injuries, which provide a target for fungi and insects.
- Branches should be sawn off with a sharp saw in such a way that the cut surface is as small as possible (clean cross-section).
- Larger branches are under tension; trim these branches gradually before making the final cut.
- Do not saw off the branches directly at the trunk, but leave a small 2-3 cm stump. And always remember: cut as small as possible!
- Dead wood i.e. dead tree parts should be removed, as they are a danger when falling down.
Otherwise: Leave everything on that does not necessarily have to be removed. Handle branches and leaves carefully, as they are the tree’s primary energy source. Every removed branch weakens the organism, at a time when it already has to deal with the additional load of the tree house anyway.
- If possible, one builds around the large branches or integrates them into the tree house.
- Smaller branches can often be bent away and tied with a rope.
How can I protect roots?
- Make sure that the soil is not too compacted during and after the construction work; the roots need a loose-airy soil to remain functional.
- Avoid stress in the immediate vicinity of the trunk: paths, crowds or parking lots. A good measure against soil compaction is beef mulch or elevated paths on piles.
Can I put a pipe / threaded rod directly through the tree?
Through-bolting is very well suited for attaching smaller loads by means of rope suspension. The threaded rod should have a diameter of at least 20 mm (take rust into account), on one side there is a large 5-7 cm washer, on the other side a ring nut to which the rope is attached.
Here you can find more information and alternative fixing methods.
Is glue harmful to the living tree?
The intellectual basis is the tree biology and the wound reaction of trees:
- The tree reacts to injuries by storing resins and essential oils. This seals the vessels and prevents fungal spores and rot from penetrating. In addition, these deposits are often inedible for insects.
- The damaged vessels can be imagined as long tubes in which water and nutrients are transported. If the tube is damaged, the tube flows out and is no longer functional.
- The loss of the broken lines is compensated. Around the injured zone (e.g. drilling of the screw) new vessels are formed in the following years.
Why does “TheTreehouse.Shop” recommend PU-glue for fixing the screws?
- PU-glue expands up to three times its volume when hardening.
- It fills all cavities.
- Like the tree with its resins and oils, the glue penetrates the damaged vessels and seals them permanently – so fungi and insects have no chance.
- The glue strengthens the immediately surrounding wood.
- The wood screw connection becomes more durable and stable.
- The tree screw is absolutely tight in the hole – so you can loosen a tight nut afterwards without having to unscrew the screw again.
- PU-glue is a viscous mass that hardens completely in a short time, which prevents harmful substances from being transported further into the tree.
Why no natural resins instead of toxic PU-glue?
Natural substances could theoretically provide a breeding ground for fungi and insects. Moreover, their hardening and volume increase is not as good as with PU-glue.
What happens if the tree house tree dies?
If the tree should weaken at some point, you can always support your tree house on stilts. This takes the strain off the tree and you can watch it grow old in comfort.
When is the best time to build treehouse - winter, spring, summer or autumn?
From the point of view of the tree, the best time to build a treehouse is in autumn and winter, here injuries are not so tragic. The tree “is not in the sap” (because of the cold, little foliage and sunlight). It is also not bird season. Therefore, this is also the peak season for arborists and forestry workers.
But for treehouse builders, it is high season all year round! Why? Because we are the most colorful birds of all 🙂
PS: Don’t worry, even in high summer a healthy tree can easily cope with the “treehouse intervention”!
Can I build my tree house on a sawed-off tree trunk?
Sure you can, but you should pay attention to the following:
- the tree trunk must not be rotten or brittle and must be able to hold the tree house securely.
- the cut surface must be constructively protected from moisture (build a kind of roof).
- support your plat form with struts and triangular constructions from below.
- you usually don’t need special tree screws for this – fix the beams with wood screws directly to the tree, use many long wood screws ø 6-8mm. Since the tree is already dead, you can do it this way;)
Normally, a reasonably healthy, freshly topped tree should remain standing for another 10-15 years. After that, either the children are too big, or the children have to support their little house with wooden stilts.
How much does a tree house cost?
Costs and prices for a DIY tree house in Central Europe (pure material costs to build yourself):
– Mini children’s hideaway 4 – 6 m² (for summer): 1000 – 2000 €.
– Small children’s playhouse 6 – 10 m² (for summer): 2000 – 4000 €
– Medium-sized overnight tree house 10 – 15 m² (for summer): 4000 – 6000 €
– Tree house for living 10 – 15 m² (insulated for summer & winter): 6000 – 10000 €
– Large tree house for adults 15 – 25 m² (insulated for summer & winter): 9000 – 20000 €
– Spacious luxury tree house for permanent living for adults 25 – 40 m² (with heating & sanitation): 25000 – 40000 €
If you have your tree house built by a professional – take everything x 3!!!
Cost decisive factors are here:
– Quality of materials and workmanship
– Planning effort & details (e.g. round shapes are much more expensive!)
– Journey & distance to building site (overnight stays, travel costs, on-site appointments)
– Size (m³)
– Height (the higher up the tree, the more time-consuming the assembly!)
– Terrain & access to tree house
– Electricity and sanitary connections
How long does a tree house last?
A well-built tree house is comparable to a mountain hut or a boathouse. Professionally assembled and under normal circumstances, tree houses last at least 20 years! Then small things may have to be touched up, e.g. roofing (shingles) or individual floor boards that are exposed to strong weather.
How big should a tree house be?
A mini children’s tree house for hiding and playing should have at least 4 m² of floor space.
A tree house for adults should have at least 10 m², so that two people can have a good time in it!
The tree or trees set the limit at the top: always build so that the tree house is nicely “hidden” in the crown, then you’ll be right.
You can find more on this topic here:
How high should my treehouse be?
Tree houses that are far above the ground often look particularly exciting! What you should keep in mind:
- the higher up, the more complicated the construction becomes
- the higher, the stronger the wind load
- the higher the more dangerous everything becomes (falling objects, people, …)
- for small children the platform height should not exceed 3m, so slides and climbing ropes can also be installed
- the most comfortable way to work is to stand safely with the ladder extended (approx. 3 – 4m platform height)
How many trees do i need?
One strong tree is all you need, however building a tree house in a single tree tends to be more difficult than in many. It’s easiest with 2, 3 or more trees spaced 2 – 6m apart, as you can attach your platform beams nicely and get a large platform area.
If the trees are too small, you can of course build on stilts or choose a combination of tree house attachment and stilts.
How far apart can my trees be?
The distance between the trees should ideally be less than 6m. If the distance / span is even greater, the wooden support beam must be so massive that it is difficult to carry. I professional tree house construction, however, spans up to 8m are not uncommon.
Do i need a building permit for a tree house?
Whether you need a permit depends on:
- Superior building code of the federal state
- Local building regulations of the municipality
- The location of the land within the municipality
- The position of the tree house in the property
- The size, height and design of the house
- The relationship with your neighbours
- Risk appetite of the building owner
- “Vitamin B”
You can find a detailed report on this topic here
How to build a spiral staircase?
Spiral staircases from “one casting” are either bent or assembled from numerous individual parts.
The staircase construction should be as self-sufficient from the tree as possible and only be supported by the tree at a few points (with wooden struts).
We advise against the method of screwing each individual step into the living tree!
– this technique is no longer professional: “professional tree house construction” means as few injuries as possible. This is the general opinion of professional tree house builders worldwide (see “World Treehouse Conference”).
– Step by step, one by one, into the tree to be screwed, we did as ignorant children
– many small injuries and many individual pressure points mean stress for the tree
– each of these steps can deform individually, making climbing stairs uncomfortable and dangerous
The construction of a spiral staircase is suitable for do-it-yourselfers – instructions can be found on YouTube as always.
The treehouse tilts or sways - what can I do about it?
Treehouses will always sway a little, that’s just the way it is in the tree, especially in the wind. But it can also happen that the construction starts to sway without the tree moving.
What’s stupid about that?
- It can feel uncomfortable / unsafe.
- The individual fasteners (tree screws, wooden joints, …) are permanently stressed by this. (Alternating load, bending, shearing, tension, pressure).
Find out the cause – why is it tilting / swaying?
- Wide cantilevered platform or parts of the platform.
- Wooden beams too small in size – beams spring and bend.
Rotation / swaying:
- Triangular construction rotates around axis of tree trunk
- Rotation when people walk and brake
- Use of suspension bridge, swing or similar.
Once you have observed and understood where the tipping / swaying is coming from, there are simple methods to counteract it – make sure you use compression and tension elements correctly:
- Attach struts from below (predominantly pressure, little tension)
- Attach rope suspension from above (only tension!)
- Insert additional short wooden struts / brackets.
- Set the ladder element / stair firmly in concrete
- Set additional support in concrete
- Reinforce the wooden beams
The basic rule for bracing is important in all of this:
Square passes – Triangle persists
Try the whole thing out with a metre rule 😉
Where do I buy my wood?
– Personal advice, rustic people
– Short delivery routes -> ecological
– Fast reordering
– Wood can be inspected and individually selected
– Cutting possible
Which type of wood is suitable?
Their stored resins and oils prevent the wood from rotting prematurely.
For the interior area (wall construction, interior formwork, rafters, …) we recommend Spruce
Spruce wood is cheaper, can be worked super and does not resinate as much.
As shingle roofing you either use:
– Larch wood (split or sawn)
– Cedar wood (imported goods; but smells very good)
OSB boards (9 – 12mm) are ideal for stiffening wall and roof surfaces.
How to dimension my wooden beams?
The following rule of thumb is used to calculate the beam height:
Here’s an example:
With this cross-section, the beam may smoothly project 1.0 m on each side.
The important thing is not the total length of the beam but the distance between the supports (here 400 cm):
The calculated height h here is therefore 20 cm.
This value can be increased by 2 – 4cm if very high loads are expected.
The value can be reduced by 2cm if only one platform is built, without tree house, without large crowds of people.
The beam width b should always be > 6 cm, so that there is sufficient space for screwing and bolting.
How do I connect the wooden beams?
Notches, overleaves and other traditional wooden joints are real eye-catchers and embody the craftsmanship of carpenters – but from today’s technical point of view they have the following disadvantages:
- The cross-section of the wood is weakened (you remove part of the supporting beam)
- The weakening is often exactly at the critical, particularly stressed points
- The flat end-grain woodcuts and joints are particularly critical for water accumulation
As beautiful as the old connections are: from a static and technical point of view, we have much better means at our disposal today: instead of hand-forged nails, there are now special wood screws for every type of connection!
Which boards / floor boards are used for the platform? What is the distance between the platform beams
|Board thickness||Centre distance platform beam|
|25 mm||<= 55 cm|
|30 mm||<= 65 cm|
The width of the boards should be 10 to max. 15cm, so that boards are not too “bowls”.
How wide should the joint between the boards be?
Bowls vs. splinters - which side of the wooden board should be on top?
However, if the core side is ugly or if parts of the heartwood are already splintering off, then turn the board with the core downwards (right side down).
Ribbed or smooth floor boards?
- Can be cleaned more easily
- More natural look
- Water collects in grooves -> algae & fungus formation, danger of slipping, reduced durability!
- More pleasant to walk barefoot and to laze around
- Less risk of splintering
What do I need distance rings for?
Distance rings are pushed onto the shaft of the GTS screw and hold the support – and thus the platform beams – in position. For more information about the mounting of the spacers, please see the FAQ section below.
Why is the shaft of the GTS so long, although I should always place the support in the middle?
- so that the tension cable of the “Cable Suspension” can be attached smoothly – the cable that is tensioned there must not touch the carrier beam.
- In order to achieve as much design freedom as possible, e.g. for inclined trees & triangular constructions
- So that the tree can grow undisturbed into the thickness – you can push the supports further and further outwards over the years.
Can I also use screws from the hardware store?
Can I rebuild the screws myself?
- Treebolts are statically highly stressed constructional elements (often several tons of load). The load situation is dynamic and the fasteners are permanently exposed to extreme alternating loads (crowds of people, swaying, wind, storm, snow loads).
- Tree houses are usually installed a few meters above the ground, a material defect can have fatal consequences.
- In the course of numerous bachelor theses we have done research on bolt geometry, materials and the manufacturing process: During our experiments some prototypes broke off; the reason was a wrongly placed weld seam, a wrong welding method or the wrong metal alloy.
- I wouldn’t have thought it either, but there is more behind the treehouse screws (originals from the USA) than just welding two steel parts together…
So now you can decide yourself…
What steel are the GTS products made of?
Why are not all screws and parts made of stainless steel?
Can I weld something onto the steel parts?
The screws are made of special steel alloys which are difficult to weld without expert knowledge and the necessary welding methods – not recommended!
If you want a custom-made product, we recommend to design the part completely new and to weld it from a homogeneous material – there are no limits to your creativity – just follow our standard dimensions.
What do I clean the tools with?
- Alcohol is best suited to dissolve organic compounds such as fungal spores, fats, pollen. Alcohol = Ethanol can be used either in its pure form (expensive because of alcohol tax – but drinkable – or as a mixture in the form of isopropanol, spirit cleaner for the household, or similar.
- Another possibility to clean the tool is to flame it with a Bunsen burner or similar.
- Do not use acetone – it is too aggressive and attacks plastic and paint!!!
- When using other disinfectants, please make sure that they are environmentally friendly and harmless to health.
What is the difference between "German Treehouse Screw (GTS)", Garnier Limb (GL) & Treehouse Attachment Bolt (TAB)?
The German Treehouse Screw (GTS), as the name suggests, is produced in Germany (near Munich) and from there it is shipped throughout Europe. Based on the American model, it is constantly being further optimised. The dimensions were adapted to the European market.
When do i use the GTS Top? What's the difference to the GTS Allstar?
When should the GTS Top be used?
Normally, for heavier loads, the GTS Allstar is the best choice. Why? Because it can carry heavier loads both vertically and horizontally – this is especially the case in softwood!
Problem: The GTS Allstar usually requires a trunk diameter > 40 cm. Not everyone has such large trees in their garden – that is why the GTS Top was developed.
The GTS Top is used where the tree is too small for the GTS Allstar.
- Small to medium sized treehouses
- Only in hardwood strongly loadable!
- Trunk diameter ø at mounting point:
> 30 cm with one screw
> 35 cm with two opposite screws
- Straight trunk with smooth bark (maximum trunk inclination 4°).
- Vertical load capacity ⇓ MEDIUM
- Horizontal loading capacity ⇒ SMALL
7. Installation of our products
How do I find the same mounting height with several screws?
This technique is absolutely precise, very inexpensive and was already used by Jesus and his carpenter dudes. All you need is a transparent hose filled with normal water (ø 1-1,5cm; length: so that it hangs nicely).
You use your first screw hole as reference height. Now hold your water filled (and closed) hose to the middle of the hole / screw axis. Hold the other end of the hose to the position where you want to mount your 2nd screw. Now open both ends of the hose and wait until the water level has settled down. This level corresponds exactly to your reference height – law of physics!
How do I find the opposite position / axis alignment of a screw in the same tree?
By the way: The Waggerwaagen Apps are also very helpful if necessary 😉
How many distance rings do I need?
Remember: the platform that will later be mounted on the screws is a rigid system that connects all supports firmly together. For example, if one support moves to the left, then the ones next to it will also move to the left – if you plan this in, you will only need a few spacers.
It helps a lot if you take a bird’s eye view of the trees, screws, supports and spacers.
Distance rings - precise function and correct assembly:
Our three large tree screws (GTS Allstar, TOP, Friend) have a smooth shaft that protrudes from the tree. The support is pushed onto the shaft and screwed to the main beam of the tree house (Static Support, Sliding Support, V-Bracket & 45° Diamond Bracket). The main beam is now firmly seated on the tree bolt and can no longer fall down – so far so good, why do we need spacer rings now?
Attention when planning:
Without spacer rings, the individual supports and thus the platform construction can slip in total (e.g. in strong wind) and remain permanently in this position: For example, if you have placed your platform perfectly centered on the bolts (without spacer rings!), then a storm will come, the trees will sway, and in the end your platform will lie completely against the tree on one side, while on the other side it will lie dangerously far out on the shaft of the GTS. This must not happen!
Use case 1: Leverage forces too high
The shank of the GTS tree bolts is up to 21 cm long, the supports can slide back and forth on the shank in a longitudinal direction. If the supports slip too far outwards, very high lever forces are generated and the tree bolt is overloaded. Here the spacer rings serve as limiting rings.
Application 2: Beam slips too close to tree
We don’t want that either; the beam should be kept at a distance of approx. 10 cm from the bark under normal load – this way the tree can grow undisturbed in its width and firmly surround the tree screw.
Application case 3: Vertical positioning of the triangular construction
Spacer rings also serve to secure the vertical position of the triangle: at the top, the “Static Support” is secured with 3 x spacer ring sets, at the bottom, spacer rings are usually not necessary, as the “V-Bracket” and “45° Diamond Bracket” wedge themselves.
Can you simply screw the GTS Allstar into the tree?
Which drilling machine do i need to mount the GTS screws?
What you need to know about your drill machine:
- It is important that your machine is not used at its power limit for a long time – otherwise it will break down: Signs of this are light smoking, burnt smell and tormented noises!
- The machine must have an extra handle – there is a great danger that the machine “eats” and you twist your wrist.
- Cordless products are easier to handle in the tree!
- The drill chuck must have at least an 11 mm receptacle to fix our drills.
What drilling power do I need?
For hard wood (oak, beech, ash, …) the cordless drill must be a real power pack – the “36 mm snake drill” and the “74 mm Forstner drill” require enormous power!
|Hard wood||Soft wood|
|Cordless Screwdriver Example||Hilti SF 10W-A22 ATC
||Makita DFF 451 RTJ|
|Battery capacity||22 V / 4 Ah||18 V / 4 Ah|
|max. force (torque)||120 Nm||80 Nm|
GTS Top / Friend / Safety:
Here a cordless drill machine of the performance class as with “GTS Allstar Soft wood” is sufficient.
Where can I get a drilling machine like that?
Drilling machines in this power class are very expensive. You have to think carefully if you really want to buy such a power package and need it in the long run. The disadvantage of these top-of-the-range drilling machines:
- they are very big and very heavy
- too bulky for women and children’s hands
- not suitable for fine / small work
- not suitable for narrow places
It is often best to borrow a strong machine just for the day of the tree screw assembly. It is best to try it at a carpenter’s shop / joiner’s shop / farmer / car / craftsman’s shop / assembler’s shop / neighbours, at the hardware store or at the machine rental.
I am sure: if you tell the boys about your treehouse project and show them the screw, they will let you have the machine for a few days.
What is a lever arm?
A little experiment with the lever arm: Extend your arm sideways and your partner presses down with the same force, once at the elbow and once at the hand. When is the load on the shoulder greater?
Can I also screw the tree screw into thick branches?
- The diameter of the branch should be > 35 cm according to the tree screw
Watch out for branches:
- The further the screw is from the tree trunk, the greater the lever arm, the torsional forces and the eccentric load
- The branch attachment on the trunk can tear out
- The connection is heavily loaded in case of wind fluctuations
- The whole platform and the tree house will fluctuate strongly and can be destroyed
- Branches can become rotten
Therefore, only after very careful consideration build in very stable branch connections close to the tree trunk!
Can the supports on the screw tilt?
To prevent the platform from tilting, it must be secured by several screws, columns or cable suspensions.
My platform rests on a triangular construction - Can the platform still remain movable?
- A triangular construction must have a fixed bearing “Static Support” at the top and a “Bracket” at the bottom. A sliding bearing is not possible, because otherwise the triangle would tilt sideways.
- The triangular construction is in itself somewhat movable and offers some leeway for fluctuations, as the support rings allow some play.
- If the trees fluctuate very much, there is a danger that the connections are exposed to strong tensions. The triangular construction must be decoupled from the platform: The easiest way is to place a sliding plate made of hard plastic (e.g. UHMW) between the beams and secure the beams laterally against slipping (wooden blocks or steel angles).
8. Problems with installation
Overloading the tree screw - what should I do?
- Weight of tree house too big
- Tree house subsequently extended
- Short-term extreme loads (crowds of people, wet snow, storm)
- Bearing / beam is mounted very far out on tree bolt
- Beam slipped outwards in wind – lever arm too large
- Tree trunk / wood too soft, see “Which tree is suitable – Every tree is an individual”.
In all cases, failure is indicated by the screw sagging in the wood; the screw itself is dimensioned so that it remains intact.
Our load tests have shown that the screw holds its position up to the load limit of the wood (can vary greatly). At this point, the wood fibres give way and the screw sinks. Force and deformation are proportional, i.e. the screw will not continue to sag unless the load is increased.
If the screw is already hanging down crookedly – take care and live longer!
Solutions to relieve the screw:
- Fix the support close to the tree and prevent slipping outwards with distance rings
- Reinforce tree bolt with rope safety device “Cable Suspension”
- Support platform from below with strut
- Hang the platform additionally with rope and tree loop from the branch fork
- Mounting the support with concrete foundation
The black coating is damaged - is that bad?
- protects the steel from rust during storage
- protects the steel against rust outdoors after installation
- enhances the parts optically and haptically
- extends the life span
From a static point of view, small defects do not play a role:
All parts are dimensioned so that rust does not matter. The big advantage of the tree screws: As the tree continues to bind the screws, the connection becomes stronger from year to year (see thickness growth and reaction wood).
Optical defects can be easily corrected with black paint: paint spray, car paint stick, permanent marker, etc.
The screw cannot be screwed in - The thread does not grip
The nut cannot be loosened - The screw in the tree turns out with it
- No lubricant applied to nut during assembly
- Mother has seized up after a long time (similar to wheel nuts on a car)
- No PU glue in the tree during assembly (GTS sticks better in the tree)
- Tree screw is too loose (possibly drill hole worn out, insufficient pre-drilling)
Solution to the problem:
- Tear the connection with spray oil (WD40) and jerk firmly on the nut
- If that doesn’t work and the screw continues to turn: somehow hold the shaft of the screw with another tool (large pipe wrench, possibly with a rubber pad for a better grip)
- Drill the shaft outside the support with a metal drill or model it with flex to have a better grip on the pipe wrench (the area can be covered later with spacers)
- Question: Is it absolutely necessary to open the nut? If necessary, make your own spacer rings from high-strength plastic to clamp over the nut.
I drilled the hole in the wrong place - What should I do?
If the borehole is just a little too deep or high, but the horizontal alignment is correct, this is not too bad. Usually the height of the wooden beams, the platform, the other screws or stilts can be easily adjusted. Mill away a part of the beam or put a wooden wedge underneath. Make sure that the carrier beam is not too much weakened!
Problem: Screw set completely wrong or drilled crooked
If you slept during the assembly or were drunk and the squeaky screw is already in the tree, then leave it screwed in in any case: an open, deep wound would be bad for the tree, because fungal spores and insects could penetrate. It is best to flex the protruding screw on the cylinder so that the tree can overcome it better.
Weigh then whether the tree can stand a new screw… if you have any doubts, continue building with rope suspension or on stilts.
The tree is crooked / is inclined / is crooked - can I still fix my tree house?
Consider how you align the platform and where the main loads act:
- Where does the crooked tree want to tilt to?
- Does my platform create an additional tipping load?
- Where do I position my tree house so that the leaning tree is relieved?
- Where do I install my tree bolts?
- Which tree bolt can I use? GTS Top only suitable for straight trunks!
- How do I fasten my carrier beam? Does it have enough space?
- How do I fasten a triangular construction?
- What happens with strong wind and snow loads
- If the tree is more inclined (>10°), you may want to transfer part of the load to supports to relieve the tree.
More information about choosing the right tree can be found here (Which tree is suitable?)
While screwing in the GTS Allstar, the cylinder stops, but the shaft continues to rotate?
9. Payment methods
- Credit Card
- PayPal Express
- Paypal Plus (PayPal, credit card, direct debit, invoice)
- Amazon Pay
- Cash payment at pick up (in 83727 / Schliersee)
- Direct bank transfer
- Bartering (sheep, alpacas and camels)
You can find everything about our payment methods here: Payment methods
On value added tax (19% German VAT) - How does it work?
The VAT must be collected by every trader. This tax goes to the state, of course, which is why in international trade the question of which state receives the taxes must be clarified.
The value added tax must always be paid in only one country!
For EU countries:
Since our company is based in Germany (country of origin principle of the EU), German law applies to our online shop. So for all our products the German VAT of 19% applies.
The option to choose the foreign VAT of the country of arrival is not available in our online shop!
For countries outside the EU:
Non-EU countries are exempt from German VAT. TheTreehouse.Shop must be able to prove that the goods have arrived in the non-EU country.
VAT also for companies (B2B – Business to Business):
We only sell to private customers (B2C – Business to Customer). Even if you have a company we will charge the 19% German VAT.
Business Account - B2B - Payment without VAT
In addition to the normal order, there is of course also the option to order without value added tax (VAT).
To do this, you need a business account, which you create as follows.
- register at www.thetreehouse.shop
- confirm your e-mail address
- log in to www.thetreehouse.shop
- in your account under “Addresses” you can edit your “billing address
- there you will find the option to enter your “VAT ID”.
- this will be checked automatically
After that you can continue shopping without VAT.
If you have any questions, please send us an e-mail and we will find a solution!
10. Vouchers / Coupons
Where do I redeem my voucher / coupon?
How do I get a coupon code?
It’s very simple! Send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Specify your desired value.
- Transfer the amount to our account (you will receive the account details via e-mail).
- As soon as we receive the money, we will send you a voucher code.
How long is my voucher valid?
Purchased vouchers are valid for 10 years. The validity is limited to one person, i.e. one email address;)
11. Other questions
What does TheTreehouse.Shop have to do with baumbaron and the treehouseblog?
TheTreehouse.Shop = Onlineshop = Vitus Wahlländer
Baumbaron GmbH = Carpentry / Tree house specialist = Johannes Schelle & Christopher Richter
Treehouseblog = Blog around the topic tree houses = Christopher Richter & Miriam Rügge
Does "The Tree House Shop" also sell washing machines on Amazon, Ebay or Alibaba?
So: We do not sell washing machines, televisions, rowing boats, camels or motorcycles!
You can see all products we sell on our homepage: www.thetreehouse.shop