General Design Information:
- Width of squared lumber: 7 to 12 cm (2.7 – 4.7 inch)
- Vertical screw spacing min. 1.3 m (51 inch)
- The larger the triangle, the more stable
- The more acute the lower triangle angle, the more load is transferred vertically.
- Attention with strong curvature and near the trunk foot!
- Screws should not be loaded too far outside.
- Prefabricate wooden triangle with Bracket on the floor
- “V-Bracket” or “45°-Diamond Bracket”
- “Static Support” for upper cross beam
- “Distance Rings”: 3-4 sets
- 2 x GTS + nut (screw for top & bottom)
- Powerful drilling machine for screw assembly (see installation instructions GTS)
- “Auger drill 36 mm”
- “Forstner drill + guide pin”
- “Reversible ratchet 1″ + 46 mm nut”
- Long spirit level for triangular construction [> 50 cm; > 20 inch]
- Short spirit level for mounting GTS [10-25 cm; 4 – 10 inch]
- Scaffold, ladder, climbing gear
- Ropes / pulleys to get triangle hanging in position
1. Find the exact position of the triangle in the tree:
Determine the desired position of the screws in the tree and mark them e.g. with a wood screw.
Check the exact position of the screws / the triangle several times:
- Alignment of triangle to the platform / to the other components
- Exact height of screws incl. support and wooden beams
- Does the triangle fit vertically and centrally in the desired position? The distance from the edge of the wood to the tree should be approx. 10 – 15 cm (4 – 6 inch). Pay attention: Curvatures on the trunk, crooked tree, thick base of trunk, course of branches, etc.
- If the tree trunk is inclined: Will the supports still fit on both shafts of the treehouse screws / is there enough space?
- Pro Advice: Build a prototype out of simple slats, then you can immediately see if the triangle fits to the desired place in the tree.
2. Prefabricate the wooden triangle on the floor:
Once you have found the perfect position for the triangle, take the exact measurements.
In our experience it is much easier to prefabricate the triangle construction on the ground:
Screw the triangle together with the V-Bracket / 45°-Diamond Bracket on the floor (a flat surface is advantageous) – do not mount the “Static Support” yet! This makes the assembly in the tree easier, so you can put the assembled triangle on the upper screw and move it more easily.
Assembly In The Tree:
- You have marked the exact position and orientation of the upper tree screw!
- You have prefabricated the triangle, put a clean zamgspaxt and screwed on the lower “bracket”!
- Now attach slips and ropes to the upper crossbar and lift the triangle into the tree.
- Depending on the size of the triangle, other aids can make the work easier (battens, poles, carabiners, scaffolding, …)
- Mount only the upper GTS including the “Static Support” and “Distance Rings” – Make sure to grease the M30 Nut, so it can be removed later if necessary).
- Place the prefabricated triangular construction on the “Static Support”:
- You now have a lot of freedom and can adjust the upper beam!
- Adjust the triangle with a spirit level horizontally and vertically.
- Is the triangle centered at the bottom of the trunk –> position for drill hole of lower screw!?
- Also pay attention to the correct alignment of triangle vs. platform.
- If necessary, move the entire triangular construction again slightly on the “Static Support”.
- If everything is in order, fix the “Static Support” lightly with two small screws to the wooden beam. It may be necessary to re-align the fixed bearing later.
- It is best to slide the necessary spacer rings onto the upper screw now.
- If everything is perfectly aligned, mark the lower screw hole of the Bracket and the exact position of the upper “Static Support” on the wooden beam (with a pencil).
- Swing the triangular construction aside and drill the lower hole. VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that both shafts are pointing in exactly the same direction and are horizontal!!!
- Screw in the lower GTS and then loosen the nut jerkily (make sure to grease the thread first!).
- Push the entire structure onto the treehouse screws (add “Distance Rings” whereever necessary).
- Check the perfect alignment of the triangle one last time.
- Fasten the nuts, the “Static Support” and all other screws!
Where do I attach a “Cable Suspension”?
To make your triangular construction even more stable and load-bearing you can reinforce the GTS screws with a “Cable Suspension”. You have the choice which of the screws is suspended:
Upper GTS + “Cable Suspension”:
+ Triangle is additionally secured against tipping down, because the upper beam is clamped.
+ Upper screw is always GTS Allstar, here the “Cable Suspension” brings maximum effect
– The course of the rope can be disruptive, e.g. if it penetrates a wall
Lower GTS + “Cable Suspension”:
+ Cable does not interfere
+ With wide triangles, where the upper crossbar may bend, a lot of load is transferred to the lower screw.
– Reinforcement of small “GTS Friend” and “GTS Top” not useful
Is it not possible to slide the triangle onto both screws at the same time?
- Then the screws may not be screwed in straight and horizontally.
- It is best to first place the triangle on the shaft of the lower GTS and then “bend” it onto the upper screw with some force.
- Often it helps to remove the “Static Support” completely once again.
Is the tree tilted too much forwards or backwards / is the triangle hanging loose in the air?
- Here you can give yourself room to manoeuvre by reinforcing / extending the triangle at the top or bottom with a wooden beam.
- You can then attach the support to the extension, so that larger inclinations are possible.
- Another option is to fix the triangle at an angle to the tree and straighten the upper crossbar so that the platform beams rest well.
Is the screw distance between upper and lower GTS too large or too small!
- Too small: “Static Support” hovers over the shaft -> simply support it with a wooden block
- Too large: “Static Support” does not fit on the shaft -> if necessary, lower the “Static Support” into the crossbar (caution not too far – stability of the crossbar must not be weakened!)